Saturday, May 23, 2009

Marble and Clinic


Some good marble guys came over on Thursday night from the City to install new countertops in our busy kitchen. They said it took them 8 hours to get here (it usually takes us 4-5, but that's not with a load of marble). So everyone in the house has been pitching in to get them installed as quickly as possible. They're nice guys, but hopefully they'll be out of here in the morning...

Yesterday we had some really strong rain and hail. Duane said it normally hails once a year, but I had never seen it so strong. Joel called me today and said that it was so bad in San Andres that it knocked holes in the church roof. Kind of reminds me of what my family says it's been like in Southern Illinois. Today it rained hard again, and we watched some of our treetops hit the power lines and short them out. On my way into town (to get a generator going for the marble guys), everyone was outside in the streets watching the river flow through town. It was pretty neat, and I made sure to wave real big since the gringo's big trees knocked their power out.

Clinic was good today. Honestly it's usually pretty exhausting. I get up, and the first thing I do is share a message with the people waiting in line. Some of them have been there since 4am. Today Salvador and Tomas both helped me by translating into Quiche for those who didn't speak Spanish. Tomas also had a good word he tacked onto the end of mine. Then I sang a song, prayed, and we began clinic. There are all kinds of people who come through our clinics: old, young, pregnant, middle-aged, pregnant, and pregnant. Today there were a lot of pregnant ones. As much as I've tried NOT to do any ultrasounds, I finally asked Leslie to teach me how about a month ago, just because I was starting to hold up clinic waiting on Leslie or Katie all the time. Actually it's really neat, and the ladies are super nice. They don't seem to mind that a young whippersnapper is running a probe over their belly. Just don't tell Joseph and David. Overall though clinic was good. We had some laughs, saw some sick people, and prayed for a lot of them. It's really good to be able to just stop or end a consulta by saying, "hey let's pray about this," and just put them into God's hands. Some of the chronic patients we only see once a month, but we know that the God who loves them is with them every day, and we pray He meets their needs. Tomorrow is a another busy day in San Andres at clinic and church. One promise we all have is that God is willing to be with us in the present, tomorrow. So I'm looking forward to seeing what He is going to do! Whenever you read this, I hope you can take a moment to enjoy Him too.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Those countertops look great! Can't wait to see them in person. Tell everyone we said HOLA...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt. We definitely missed you this last trip! (And thanks for sticking up for us on Leslie's blog)

    ReplyDelete