Thursday, May 21, 2009

Big Grasshoppers


Yesterday (Wednesday) is normally our Sabbath day of rest since we have clinic in Canilla on Saturaday and in San Andres on Sundays. It's a relatively new practice, and difficult to observe sometimes, but we're trusting that God can do more through us in six days than we can do on our own in seven.
I say all of that to say that we moved our day of rest to today (Thursday), because Duane had to go to the City for some adoption work yesterday. For everyone who's been praying for Grace and Abi's adoptions, thank you so much. Grace is officially a Ficker in Guatemala, and we're almost there for Abi.
So David and I ended up working on finishing a swingset for the kids here at the house yesterday morning. We got laughed at for trying it out, but we were just thinking of the kids' safety....
Later in the afternoon I did some schoolwork and then made some house visits. The first was to my friend Juan Carlos's grandma, Julianna. Last Sunday he had told me how she raised him and wanted him to go to church when he was little. Now that he's a Christian and is starting his own family, she isn't interested! So I asked Aaron if I could take some his cow's milk to her as a gift, and she was very thankful. As is custom here, she was very nice and invited me in to sit down. She was very sweet and made me miss my own grandmas. My prayer and hope is that she sees the good fruit in her grandson's life from his personal relationship with God and wants to have the same.

Later I went to check on Nancy, a little girl that with Cerebral Palsy. She is 23, but weighs about as much as an 8-year-old. Her father was killed in a car accident about 3 years ago during a church event, and now her mom takes care of her alone. I've noticed that several friends and family come to visit her, but I can't imagine how hard it much be to take care of Nancy by herself. Situations like Nancy's occur all over the world to the poor and the rich, but it is never easy to see and understand. She can't talk anymore, but she understands everything and smiles and laughs when we talk about the milk we bring "fattening her up" and going for a ride in Duane's airplane. When I think of her mom, I know she has a great purpose in the world in taking care of her daughter and that God desires to fill her heart with is love and joy. We prayed before I left just asking God's presence to dwell in the house with them.
Now Duane and Leslie are listening to a teaching on the porch, so I'm going to go join them. I hope that today is a blessed day for you, whenever you read this, no because circumstances are always ideal, but because the God of heaven loves you and has a purpose for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment