Saturday, October 10, 2009

News

Well, I think I'm going to try this like a news update. When a lot is going on I have a hard time deciding what to say, so:

SURGERY UPDATE: To follow up with Helen and Edimira, we went back to the City this Wednesday. The doctor there looked at her skin infection, and said that although it was almost gone (I couldn't see anything) there was still some there. He wouldn't admit her for a surgery, so we came home and will continue trusting God to take care of her. Possibly we can try again in February when another group of neurosurgeons come down.

MINISTRY: This last week in clinic was really good as far as spiritually ministering to people. Several men and women gave their lives to Christ. In the midst of so many problems and sicknessess, it amazing me how God's word never fails. He's faithful when everything else is falling apart. More and more though, I'm realizing the real need for discipleship after a person or a family accept Christ. Some churches are great to refer people too, and then there are other's who's pastors charge people for prayer.

IN PRAYER: There was a young man, Domingo, who came to San Andres clinic last week. He had been drunk for a month without eating, and his liver and intestines where punishing him for it. After a few days sober he came to us for help. We gave him some medicine, prayed with him to give control of his life to Jesus, and set up a trip for him to our friend Victor's drug rehab center. Victor said he never showed up, but I'm hoping we see him tomorrow at clinic again.

OUTREACH: This last Thursday we had another trip to San Pedro, Zona Reina. Again we got in an out the same day with the plane. Our friend Dr. Pedro (from Guatemala City) went with us to pull teeth, and they loved him. It's really good to to get to know the people there. Our relationship with them is deepening, but we still lack Christian translators. A few people have accepted Christ, but anytime we ask our translator to pray or share something about God they are silent. One man (I remember him as Luciano's dad) has a mass blocking his stomach, so he is withering away. His heart is right with God, but I'm praying that he recieves a miracle from Him because the doctors have not been able to do anything for him.

CORN: David, Joseph, and Ryan are still busy in the States working on a truck to bring a load down for the corn project. On this end of things we bought our first 2,000 pounds of corn today and cleaned out the small silos we have. More families continue to come to us each week for food. At our clinics we announced what we are doing in case anyone wants to donate food to help hungry families. It amazes me how willing to help most Guatemalan's are; organization is where things get hard though. If we can help with that I know we'll make a difference.

IT'S DEER SEASON IN ILLINOIS: My friend Jeff has already killed a buck and a coyote (as of a few days ago) with his bow, reminding me of Fall back home. I'll be going home to visit my family for three weeks later this month. I've been home for a total of two weeks this year, and I miss them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment