Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Last words

My feet are soaked from catching our second bee swarm! Aaron found it under a bridge in town, so we made a hive and some tools last night. Tonight we caught as many as we could in a cardboard box. Later we'll dump what we have in the new "bee haven" box.
The last couple days have been pretty busy. Several of the pastors I've talked to the last couple days are really planning and looking for ways to help us with the corn project. I don't want to get my hopes too high, but I am praying.

Today in clinic there was a middle-aged lady, Estefania, who had a really high blood pressure, but nothing else wrong. After a few minutes of talking with her, she confided to us that she feels like there is an evil spirit oppressing her. I won't go into all the details, but it made me so mad that the devil has put such a fear in people here. I have no doubt that sin, the world(that is not subject to God's law), and the devil are the enemies of all mankind, but it makes me mad when Christians like Estefania are afraid of him. Here, more than in the US, poeple view the spiritual realm as very real, and tangible. Rather than calling a pastor to pray or taking medicine, people can call a witchdoctor to cast a spell to heal you (for a price of course). The cool thing is that people are healed quite often from chronic sicknesses after commitng their lives to Christ. Anyway, I just had some more spiritual stuff today than usual.

I'm looking forward to seeing my family, but not to the trip. I plan to ride my dirtbike in from Canilla in the morning (hopefully no more than a 4-hour trip) to get on the plane. I better get my bag packed...and get those bees in their box.

No comments:

Post a Comment