Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Narrow, Muddy Road

Tuesday Salvador and I were the only two left in the truck as we drove to clinic. For some reason the ladies didn't want to fight the mud with us, so they were walking behind us. Between mud holes my faithful companion and I were discussing what to share with the people before clinic. He would be the one giving the final message since he spoke Quiche, so I asked him to just share whatever was on his heart. Well, amid the bumps, turns, and re-runs he was searching the gospels and decided to talk about the wide and narrow roads. Wide is the road that leads to destruction, and many take it, but narrow and hard to find is the road to life with God. Good for the people in clinic who have a history of idolatry and polytheism, right? But then he shared something that I hadn't thought about it a while and that really spoke to me. He said that on the wide road you can walk side by side with a buddy, but that on the narrow road you have to walk alone. Now I'm not taking this so far as to think a life after God's heart is lonely or that He doesn't supply friendships and support, because He does, but the bottom line that spoke to me was the remembrance that I and I alone will one day give an account to God for the life I choose to live. Life on the mission field is like anywhere else in that it is full of ups and downs, hard times and easy times, but even more so in the difficult times I'm learning that I have to press into God for myself. I think one of the only differences on the Guatemalan mission field is that there's just a few more of those difficult times that involve mud. Salvador and I made it through this week, though.

As for other happenings....
We're undergoing a rotation with the medical help. Heather is going home tomorrow, but Hannah has come to take her position for about a week and a half. We will all miss Heather not only for her help but for her smile and help on the volleyball court on Saturday afternoons :). We actually cheated today and played a game on a Thursday evening as it is her last full day here.
I did have some real encouragement this week from some friends here too. After church on Sunday night Juan Carlos and his wife Jael invited me over again, this time for dinner, and then they invited me over again to his grandma's on Tuesday evening. They're a neat couple, and we're working together to show Christ's love to his grandma.
The other encouraging visit I had was with Nancy and her mom Carmen (I wrote about them and posted a picture about a month ago). It had been over two weeks since I made my last visit there, and Carmen went on and on about how they listen to all the motorcycles go by hoping its the gringito (little white guy). I told them my name, even tried my middle name "Alan" since it's easier to say, but Gringito is all that sticks. They were really nice, and extra appreciative of the visit this time, but I always leave really burdened for them. I can bring milk, pray, and offer my time to sit and listen, but what they really need only God can give. It's just Carmen and Nancy there, and Carmen said this time that her husband used to take care of so many things (before he died two years ago), but that now she has to be the man and the woman around the house. There are many women in her situation, but I think having a totally dependent child makes it extra hard. If you ever think of them sporadically, please pray for them, and for Nancy's health.

Also, I'm only able to write this tonight because I'm not in Unilla like we had planned. The mayor called Duane a few days ago to say that he wanted more time to organize. Next month we may not be able to get in or have enough help, but we are taking it as a closed door for now. Still, we are seeking God's heart for the village and what part we may play in realizing His will there.

And just as a last note, the gas man changed my motorcycle tire for free today. To my knowledge that is a privlege that I think only David has enjoyed up to this point! I think I grew two inches today!
So, I'm reminded that the Christian life is a narrow road. There may not always be someone there beside you, and that's the time to press into God who is always there, but there are also the times when God puts others along side us to encourage us. Whateve season you're in, press into the Source of Life for yourself today, and enjoy those God has placed around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment