Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Back to Guatemala


This is one of the little guys we see regularly for the nutricion program in Chiminisijuan.

I just realized my last post was never published last Thursday, but just to fill anyone in, I didn't get back to Guatemala until last night. I extended my stay to help Ryan, Duane, and some other friends load up our "corn truck" with grain bins and other supplies. Hopefully the load will get here in a month or so. Our friend Martin plans to drive in through Mexico for us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was nothing like being reunited with my XR650 at the airport yesterday (except maybe a pretty girl). It had been three weeks, and she was inviting me to give her a spin. My friends Dr. Sherwood and his wife Areli picked me up and took me to my motorcycle on the other side of the runway. (It was good to see them too :)! They were there to pick up some friends from Michigan who will be working with them for a week. Hopefully they'll be able to come and work with us this upcoming Saturday too. Anyway, three and a half hours after leaving the City I made it to Canilla just after dark. The dark and foggy mountain roads reminded me that I was back, as did all the familiar faces here at the house. Grace had to show me all of the new puppies we had, and David was sure to leave out some dinner for me.

Today was our weekly Chiminisijuan clinic. Armando and I went up and gave out milk/food to families who were on our programs. We did a lot of praying with families and I was reminded of who it is that we're here to serve. So many familes (many of them single mothers with several children) live in such isolated places just struggling to keep food in their bellies. Hope is much needed, and I feel like I can get so distracted from the Source of Hope in all of my personal worries.

As for major passings since I was gone: The Aztec interior looks really good, and David has been busy with tractor work and repairs on our Tacoma. Juan and I did some cutting and unbolting this afternoon. Our cow had her calf, so the fridge is stocked with milk again (that's a big deal). Duane and Leslie are still in Israel until Monday, but the girls are doing good with their brothers and sisters (and puppies). The corn project folder has over 200 families entered that we are either helping with food or monitoring in case they need it in the next couple of months. Three families came through today for beans, rice, and oats along with 15 kids who recieved milk. Tomorrow is our Sabbath, so I don't exactly what we'll do, but it's sure to include some prayer and worship. My time home was really good seeing family and friends. It was easier saying goodbye since I plan on being home for Christmas in just over a month (way better than 6 months). That's the rundown for tonight, I just wanted to let everyone know I made it back safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment