Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Everybody loves corn

Right? At least in Guatemala I think everybody loves corn. If you haven't heard, the problem in much of Guatemala this year is that it barely rained during the main growing season and there is way less food than normal. Already we are seeing more people than ever asking us for food, and more babies every week are going onto our feeding program.
This three-month-old baby boy is from Chiminisijuan clinic yesterday.

Leslie wrote a good blog about what God has put on our hearts to do to help the hunger situation. Right now we're in the planning phases, but we are in contact with many people who are helping us organize getting a load of corn into Quiche for distribution among poor families who are in need of food. If you think to pray or feel led to be a part in this project in another way (such as donating money toward shipping or corn, or donating corn itself) I believe it is something that God is doing. After we get a few more numbers from some shipping companies and the Guatemalan ports, I can pass more details on to those who are interested.

In other happenings, Guatemala celebrated its independence from Spain yesterday. Lots of people came to Canilla from San Andres to listen to some bands in the park. Sebastian and Oralia (who run the orphanage in San Andres) came over to visit afterward with a truckload of kids. It was really good to visit with them, and I think I might start teaching a few of the boys guitar lessons. Sebastian is going to see who is really interested.

Today was a good day because I got my radiator fixed on my bike finally (thank you Malachi); although, I have a new-found respect for JB Weld. I also have a new movie, The Incredibles, to show in the park this Friday. This week I put up flyers because several poeple said they would have come to the past ones if they had known. If anyone has any good ideas of movies, I would love to hear them. DVD's that have a Spanish audio track work best, and I look for movies with quality (that I would watch), that are clean, and if possible have a positive message. Showing movies a few times a month is depleting our supply, and I'm not in the States to know what new ones are out.

Well, it's hot tonight, and I need to shower and get to bed. My dad says that cleanliness is next to Godliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment